Admissions FAQ


What is the difference between skilled and assisted living? How do I know where my loved one belongs?

  • Individuals in skilled settings often have chronic medical conditions that require 24 hour monitoring. They need support and assistance for all activities of daily living (ADL’s)-such as physical assist with transfers, ambulation, bathing, dressing, feeding, and toileting.
  • An instrument that can help determine which level of care is appropriate, and is required to be considered for admission to any nursing home in New York State, is called a PRI, a Patient Review Instrument. These can be done for a out of pocket cost, and are most often completed by a home health care agency or privately hired case management agency or care manager. If your loved one is currently in the hospital or another nursing home, a PRI can be completed there.

How do I prepare for the day when my loved one needs this type of care?

  • It is important to have open discussions with your loved ones about their wishes in relation to their health care directives and planning for the possibility of needing to enter a skilled nursing facility.
    • You will need several types of documents and information they will need to have at your disposal:
    • Health Care Proxy
    • Power of Attorney
    • A  Living Will
    • MOLST forms (Medical Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment) are encouraged to be completed by potential residents so the facility providers have clear documentation of the individual’s wishes for treatment. MOLST forms can be completed with you Primary Care Physician or a hospital or nursing home physician.

What does insurance cover? How do we pay the difference, if there is any?

  • With so many different types of insurances, it is best to contact your insurance company to learn about your benefit package for skilled services when you are pre- planning or in need of a stay for short –term rehabilitation.
  • For long-term care, it varies depending on the individual’s needs.
  • Call, and we would be happy to discuss details about you or your loved one’s situation to best help determine your coverage and what costs could be incurred.

What is the difference between Medicare and Medicaid? Do you accept both?

  • Medicare is a health insurance plan, funded by the federal government, based on eligibility, which primarily covers hospitalizations and outpatient services. In most cases it covers the first 20 days in full of a short-term rehabilitation stay if the individual has had an acute 3-night inpatient hospital stay.
  • Medicaid is health insurance plan funded by New York State to income eligible individuals. Chronic care Medicaid can help with the costs of long-term nursing home care once the person’s insurance/financial resources are exhausted.

What if my loved one is no longer safe to be at home? What do you offer as options

What about food service? Can you accommodate special diets?

  • Yes. Resident’s diets, as prescribed by the physician based on the individuals specific medical/nutritional needs, are monitored by our full time dietician. The dietician works in conjunction with nursing staff and medical providers (NP,MD) to ensure resident’s nutritional needs are met.

Who will be taking care of my loved one in skilled nursing?

  • 24 hour nursing staff including nurses and certified nursing assistants, nurse practitioners (NPs) and physician services from the Strong Health Geriatric Group (the NP’s are there M-F, MD 3 days/week, someone always on call evenings/weekends/holidays). Other medical consultants as needed (dentist, podiatry). They will also have a household specific nursing administrator, social worker, and activities director. They may also interface with physical/occupational/speech therapists & a dietician.

Activities available

Each floor has its own activities director. Activities vary by week and time of year. Regularly offered activities include:

  • Bingo
  • Trivia challenges,
  • Outings for lunch
  • Musical performers
  • Religious services
  • Crafts